2020 APW Communications Contest Accepting Entries Now
Arkansas communicators can enter a diverse variety of work in the 2020 APW Contest. Work completed between Jan.1 and Dec. 31, 2019, is eligible.
Winning first place in the APW contest makes you eligible to compete nationally. National winners will be recognized during the 2020 NFPW conference in Little Rock, June 18-20 – the first time in more than 30 years that the national conference has been in Arkansas.
Here’s what you need to know to get started:
- NFPW, which administers the state affiliate contests, has a new contest software vendor. Web addresses and passwords you saved from previous years will no longer work.
- Each state now has its own contest page. The Communications Contest for professional and collegiate work and the High School Journalism Contest can be accessed from the contest home page.
HINT: Visit the contest page as soon as you can.
Register, get your password, and review the category requirements.
NFPW changed vendors to gain access to a more flexible system and to avoid a dramatic cost increase. The change in vendor helped but contest expenses still increased, causing an increase in APW entry fees. APW accepts entries from non-members, who pay higher entry fees than members.
- Members will pay $20 for their first entry and $15 for each additional entry.
- Non-members will pay $30 for their first entry and $20 for each additional entry.
HINT: To avoid paying a late fee, submit all your entries by Jan. 28, 2020.
The one-time late fee is $25 and will be collected on your first entry submitted
after midnight (Central) on Jan. 28.
Advancing to National
Arkansas entries that win first place can advance to the national competition. If your entry places first, you’ll receive an email asking you to:
- Reimburse APW for the $20-per-entry national entry fee. APW has chosen to request reimbursement from the first-place winners rather than increasing entry fees for everyone to cover this expense.
- Join NFPW/APW if you are not already a member. Current members will be asked to pay their 2020 membership dues, if they have not already. NFPW requires that entrants in the national contest be members in good standing no later than March 15, 2020.
HINT: Join NFPW/APW now, pay your 2020 dues and your membership starts immediately,
allowing you to enter your 2019 work at the member rate. Current members who renew
before the end of 2019 will avoid a $2 dues increase that goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2020.
- Early deadline for all categories: Jan. 28 at midnight Central time
- A one-time $25 late fee will be assessed on the first entry submitted after midnight on Jan. 28.
- If you pay the $25 late fee:
- Book entries will be accepted until midnight on Feb. 4.
- All other entries will be accepted until midnight Feb. 11.
- All Arkansas winners will be honored at a luncheon in the spring. Details to come.
- National awards will be presented during the 2020 NFPW Conference, which will be June 18-20 in Little Rock/North Little Rock.
We hope to have a large group of Arkansas winners recognized by their peers
from across the nation during the awards banquet on June 20, 2020!
I am pleased to be serving as your Arkansas contest director again this year and will be glad to answer your questions. The best way to reach me is by email: email@example.com